Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It was lovely to discover that Elizabeth Kaeton was traveling on the same flight as me. Arriving at Gatwick Airport at 7 a.m. Monday, we made our way on the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station in London and then the 1 1/2 hour train ride to Canterbury. The ride was a delightful one through bucolic English countryside. We arrived in Canterbury around 11 a.m. and I made my way to the campus of the University of Kent where the Lambeth Conference is taking place. Compared to what the bishops and their spouses went through on registration day last week, mine only took a couple of minutes. By Monday evening I figured out that since I am a Anglican Communion staff member (the red lanyard) I am able to go to all events. I consider myself truly blessed to do so because, unfortunately, exhibitors, visitors, etc. are not able to go to most events.

After registering, I made my way over to Keynes College where the bishops are having their Indaba groups every morning (Indaba is a Zulu word meaning gathering or meeting). I set up my exhibit (Anglican United Nations office) in the foyer, where the other Anglican networks and offices have exhibits. It has been a great spot to be! After a few hours of “meet and greet” I made my way over to my dorm room – spartan, but comfortable (and I’m certainly not in it very much!) I then found my way over to the Marketplace – in the sports center – where the exhibits are set up. Didn’t last long because the Episcopal Foundation was having a reception in the evening and invited me – so I grabbed a ride with Rob Radtke (President of ERD), Luke Fodor of ERD, and Margaret Rose downtown to Canterbury (it’s about a 10 minute walk from the campus down the hill.) We had an hour to walk around (what a lovely city!) and then met up with Rob’s wife and drove to the hotel where the reception was taking place. The Foundation invited the U.S. bishops and their spouses and it was a good place to connect with them – some who I knew, and some who I met for the first time. How lovely to see Prince Singh in his purple! I saw Mark (Beckwith) for the second time, having run into him earlier in the day. The bishops and their spouses had to return for an 8:00 plenary…and we made it back shortly after. Then it was time to find one of the pubs on campus for a pint of English beer... and then finally some sleep!

I should state that there are two parallel conferences taking place – the spouses conference and the bishops’ conference. The bishops began the conference retreat on Thursday (the 17th) which continued for 3 days. All the bishops I have spoken with said it was invaluable and a wonderful way to begin. Sunday was The Conference Service at Canterbury Cathedral. In the afternoon, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, gave his presidential address (http://www.lambethconference.org/daily/news.cfm/2008/7/20/ACNS4440). Beginning Monday, the 21st, every day has a theme. Day One was Celebrating Common Ground: The Bishop and Anglican Identify. Day Two was Proclaiming the Good News: The Bishop and Evangelism. Most days start with worship at 7:15 in the Big Top – a tent set up to accommodate the bishops and their spouses. Worship on Monday was led by the Korean Church and today, Tuesday, by the Church of the Province of Central Africa. It is truly humbling to be worshipping with folks from every part of the globe. After service is breakfast (with a LONG queue!) and then the bishops head to bible study, and the spouses to plenaries. "Tea" at 10:30 followed by the indaba groups for the bishops. Lunch at 1:00 followed by "self-select" groups (i.e. workshops) in the afternoon (with tea in the middle, of course), evening prayer, dinner and a plenary at 8:15. As you can see, they are very full, rich days!

It is so difficult to put into words all the experiences and feelings of being here. It has been a joy to speak to so many bishops about the work of my office - the Anglican Communion office at the United Nations - and find ways that our office can support them. Given that our office's focuses are poverty, MDG’s, sustainable development and environment, human rights, HIV and AIDS, gender issues and more, we are finding lots of ways to partner with dioceses in countries which are suffering greatly.

I'm also trying to figure out how to be in many places at once -- my exhibit table, the marketplace where lots of exhibitors are located, the spouses' conference and the bishops' gatherings. Haven't figured it out yet!

I had my first sighting of the Archbishop and not surprisingly, from what I have heard about him, he looked absolutely delighted to be sitting out on the grass in a circle with the International Anglican Youth Network reps who are here.

Tuesday night I went to the plenary with a representative from the Vatican speaking on evangelism, mission and social justice. Having been trained by the Jesuits myself, I had hoped for a provocative and prophetic talk on social justice, but unfortunately it was a bit disappointing and didn't meet my expectations.

That's it for now -- my next "blog" will be on Wednesday's theme which is "Transforming Society: The Bishop and Social Justice." There is also the first scheduled hearing of the Conference -- by the Windsor Continuation Group. We'll see what happens....

Martha